Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Murmurings of the Heart



I took Harvey & Wendy in for their 3 year old and 6 year old check ups today. Because of Obamacare we lost our pediatrician. I was pretty bummed, my pediatrician was whatever, but I loved the office and LOVED our nurse (who was the one who spent most of the time with the kids anyway). After asking around to other moms I trust, we found a new pediatrician who accepts our new insurance. I was a little worried the kids would feel unsure in a new environment, but WOW did they love it! This place is all decked out like a little kid heaven... like chuck-e-cheese meets the children's museum. They ran around squealing and Harvey kept saying, "I YUV dis place mom!!" despite being very upset when he discovered we were going to the doctor's office. The nurse, April, came out with stickers for the kids and they took to her right away. Harvey was super chatty with her (I think it was the relief that this place wasn't as horrible as he thought it would be).  

They so were giddy to put on these cute little hospital gowns. During Harvey's check up, the doctor asked me, "How long has Harvey had a heart murmur? Was he born with it?" I think my eyes got big. EXCUSE ME?! I quickly filed through my cloudy mom brain, thinking, "A HEART murmur? No. Wait... have I been told this before? ...No, I would have remembered a heart murmur." I told her this was the first I'd heard of it. She had him lay down to double, then triple check. She explained he has what's called a "Stills Murmur" which is not uncommon and usually harmless. It tends to resolve itself by adolescence and all we have to do is keep our eye on it. I felt a little helpless. No medicine? Can he play sports? Will he drop dead if he runs around too much?? She reassured me that it would be okay and would schedule an ultrasound if I'd like. I told her I was okay at the moment, but I'm pretty sure my mother-in-law will make me get him an ultrasound (she's a great grammy and a little over-cautious, which is not necessarily a bad thing). 

All in all it was a bit of an internal roller-coaster and draining day for me. I do feel a certain level of peace about the whole situation and deep down I feel that it will all be okay. 

*i love how they're kinda holding hands in this picture. so sweet.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Now THAT is a cool doctor's office! Glad you were able to find somewhere good on your new insurance! Scary about the heart murmur, but it really is pretty common. My sister, Joy's daughter had one but it resolved by her kindergarten check up. Hopefully Harvey's will too! :)

Sharla Watene said...

Hey! I know this office....I've had a bummer with them though since I've been gone. I'll have to tell you about it. Makes me sad that it's ended on a bad note because I loved it there and was with them since Cooper was born. :(